Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Psst, fellas

I'm no expert on dating but as a woman who has dated for more years than I care to share if I had to give advice to men, both superficial and deep, about what women want, like and need, I'd have to share this list. Again, this is just me and I am pretty sure a good amount of women, although not all:
  1. A good suit- not just any suit, not some baggy suit, not some maroon or lime colored suit, not some long jacket Steve Harvey suit. I'm talking about Justin Timberlake "Suit and Tie" well tailored suit in black, gray, navy or fine (not those wide) stripped suits. I mean, darn, a guy in a well tailored suit just looks awesome. So if I'm at a happy hour and you just came from work in your Suit and Tie, I might give you a few double takes. I like it, I like it a lot.
  2. Follow through- it's so darn simple but so hard for some folk. If you say you gonna call, CALL! If you are running late, let me know! I don't care what you say, must I say it? ACTIONS speak LOUDER than words! If you are a man of your word, trust she will have less to complain/nag you about.
  3. Plan something- If you call a woman for a first date, the day of, and say "hey baby, let's go out to dinner at 7" and it's 6pm! Uh-uh, not going to happen. I am worth the planning, especially for the first date! And to assume I don't have anything else to do but wait for your call is insulting. If you are interested in me so are others so you shouldn't assume I have nothing going on. Make a girl feel special.
  4. Arrogance v. Swag- Arrogance- no. Swag- yes. It's a fine line but a line none the less. Let's be honest, you think Beyoncé would be married to Jay-Z if he had no swag? But cockiness is not cute on anyone. Have confidence but don't be rude or annoying. Be a gentleman and don't come with the games.
  5. Attention- we women need it. Obviously if you are watching the game (any game) and we decide to talk to you about how much our friend Becky pisses us off when she keeps talking about her bad behind kids you might not be interested. But if we are out on a date with you and you are busy checking your text and email or checking out the girl who just walked past, you have lost me. If I have to say "are you listening to me", it does not look well for you.
  6. Grooming- teeth- fix em, nails- file em, hair- trim/cut it, body- eat a veggie or two and hit the gym once in a while to at least keep a healthy heart (you don't have to look like Dwyane "the Rock" Johnson...unless you want to, I mean I won't try to stop you)
I can probably think of some more but I think this is good for now!

No comments: