Monday, March 3, 2014

Scandal v. BMJ: Why do I root for one and not another?

Okay I am a big Scandal and Being Mary Jane fan but I have to admit, I pull more for Olivia over Mary Jane. Why? Yes, they are both smart, successful, independent women who are...side chicks. So technically I should dislike them both. But I never hated Olivia like I tend to hate Mary Jane. Admittedly, Mary Jane redeemed herself by the end of the first season but honestly before that I gave her several side eyes and eye rolls. I tell my friends this and they don't understand why the double standard so I had to think on it and here is my reasoning:
  • Scandal gives me side plots that help me take the focus off the foolishness of the affair.

  • Scandal has a Jake. Yes, I am team Jake. I just don't care for Fitz, just as I didn't care for Mary Jane's married Boo. These men are not sympathetic. So if there is a good guy who can stir the side chick right then I'm for it. I thought Mary Jane had one but turns out he got himself a new girl so maybe next season.

  • The wife. So regardless of her personality, I still respect the wife on Scandal because that is what she is: the wife. She may be unlikeable but she was done dirty. However, Scandal still makes Olivia sympathetic because it really showcases the back story for both women and their understanding of the situation. In Being Mary Jane, I just didn't hate the wife. She seemed okay and was wronged for no reason. She didn't seem evil or conniving which made Mary Jane more of a home wreaker.

  • Mary Jane didn't seem really sorry for her actions. In Scandal, Olivia often pushed Fitz away and encouraged his marriage to his wife. Mary Jane tried to humiliate the wife. Not cool.

  • Olivia just seems so much more caring. She stands behind her "gladiators" and will help them no matter what (I mean she is still trying to look out for the backstabbing Quinn). Mary Jane helps others but she fuses all the way. Either help your family or leave them alone. And how she accused her friend of telling her secret without any proof- not cool.
All in all, the side chick foolishness is not cool but if I have to pull for someone, I must get some redeemable characteristics that make me want to pull for the person. I'm still iffy on Ms. Mary Jane. But that's just me, I like some kindness in my side chicks!

2 comments:

dating single white men said...

Good ideas! I have just read your article on "Scandal v. BMJ: Why do I root for one and not another?" and found it very impressive. The article is resourceful and attractive for the readers in the highest level. I must say that I look forward to read more on this topic. Bravo!

black women white men dating said...

Good ideas! I have just read your article on "Scandal v. BMJ: Why do I root for one and not another?" and found it very impressive. The article is resourceful and attractive for the readers in the highest level. I must say that I look forward to read more on this topic. Bravo!